Monday, March 21, 2011

International Poetry Day: celebrate Canadian poet Dennis Lee

Did you know that March 21st has been declared as International Poetry Day? I found out while I was checking out Twitter and saw a tweet from Shorty Awards! The power of social media! 

After mulling it over, I thought it'd be fitting to share this wonderful poem, When I Went Up to Rosedale, written by Canadian poet, Dennis Lee who lives in Toronto.  His outstanding, works include Civil Elegies, Alligator Pie, and The Ice Cream Store. Notable awards would be the Governor General's Award, Order of Canada in 1993. In 2001 Lee became Toronto's first Poet Laureate, serving in that position until 2004.  


I love reciting this meditative poem just as we're leaving the tree-lined, old-moneyed Rosedale along my Foodies Gaslight Stroll: Rosedale & Yorkville Village, as we try to ensure that there's equal portion of food and food for thought!  Lets say it's my way of sharing a bit of Canadian culture with all of my guests. They can be passionate foodies from around the world or locals from Toronto; all love this little Canadian literary gem. 





When I Went Up to Rosedale

When I went up to Rosedale I thought of kingdom come...
and roads that winds their stately way to dead ends ...
When I came down from Rosedale
I could not school my mind to the manic streets before me nor the courtly ones behind.
 - Dennis Beynon Lee, OC, MA 





Opportunities to hear this lovely poem:

 Foodies Gaslight Stroll: Rosedale & Yorkville Village

Sat. March 26th, 2011
Sat. April 30th, 2011
Sat. May 28th, 2011
Sat. June 18th, 2011
Sat. July 9th, 2011 
Sat. July 23rd, 2011
Sat. August 27th, 2011
Sat. October 1st, 2011

Reserve your spots now to avoid being disappointed!  Space is limited! 
http://TorontoWalksBikes.com or info@TorontoWalksBikes.com


No comments:

Post a Comment